Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Surveying...

Dictionary.com defines the word "survey" like this: to view in detail, esp. to inspect, examine, or appraise formally or officially in order to ascertain condition, value, etc.



When someone surveys something, they are searching it out in detail, they are examining all the parts of it in order to get a view of what it is...and if you are a good surveyer, you will also see what it means for that which surrounds it, if you will, the value of it.



As I was sitting at my desk today, I was listening to the song "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" as sung by Kathryn Scott. I was moved to the point of tears as I sat and listened to the words of a surveyor who managed to not only see the cross but more importantly the Saviour Jesus Christ who died on it. To say that the writer only saw the value of the cross to him is a gross understatement I think, as the words in the song convey a deeper message... one that begs all those who call themselves followers of Jesus to give undying devotion to Him.



As I survey the wondrous cross, as I look at it in detail, I realize that I do not formally ascertain the condition of it or Jesus, but rather the condition of myself... Then my gaze is thrust upon a love I can not fathom... and I am drawn to my knees by this kind of love; a love that truly does demand my life, my soul, my all.

No comments: