Friday, March 16, 2007

can't get away from love...

I've been thinking a lot lately about human needs. The first and foremost need that I can not deny is our seeking to love and be loved. I know you may be thinking, "I've heard this rant before" (If in fact anyone actually reads this thing, haha). Well for me, I constantly need to be reminded of it because I am ever caught in the middle of it.
Ravi Zacharias speaks of this love phenomenon saying, "Isn't it interesting how stories, whether old or new, sooner or later touch upon the them of loving and being loved?" (Recapture the Wonder, 109) I was thinking about this in my own life, and if I think hard enough about everything I do, I mostly do things either to do some loving or to be the one to be loved. I had to laugh when I was reading Donald Millers "Searching for God knows what" when he was talking about an interview he had with a local radio-station in Seattle. When the host asked him why he writes (essentially what inspires him) he replied, "I just really want to be liked" (later stating what he meant was "to be loved") The radio host backs away from the mic and says to him quietly, "you're not the only one."
The phenomenon of not being able to get away from love is one thing...but the phenomenon of how we search for love is quite another. Jesus made a bold statement to a lady who had been on a dead end search for love for quite some time. He said to her "If you only knew the gift God has for you and who I am, you would ask me, and I would give you living water." (Jn. 4:10) Wisely, the thirsty lady decided to drink from living water, from wells that do not go dry.
Why is it then that we, who have tasted this water and know that the well of true love is everlating, so often forget the rich purity of a Creator's love and search for love in all the wrong places? Someone once told me that sin is trying to meet real needs through ways that grieve the heart of God. I have come to believe this to be true. Those of you doing the loving these days, imagine the slap in the face when your lover ignores that which you bestow on them and they search in (what you can clearly see as) all the wrong places.
Folks, we can't get away from love. And by grace, Love can not get away from us...

"This is real love. It is not that we loved God, but that he loved us..." -1 Jn. 4:10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you've got it right here. Is God's love enough for us??? We know it is...how come it is so hard to live what we know to be true?